Program Code: 3822
This program offers a sequence of courses that provides coherent and rigorous content aligned with challenging academic standards and relevant technical knowledge and skills needed to prepare for further education and careers in the manufacturing career cluster; provides technical skill proficiency, and includes competency-based applied learning that contributes to the academic knowledge, higher-order reasoning and problem-solving skills, work attitudes, general employability skills, technical skills, and occupation-specific skills, and knowledge of all aspects of the manufacturing career cluster.
The content includes but is not limited to designing, manufacturing, evaluating, troubleshooting, repairing and testing various types of biomedical equipment. Additionally, students will learn to function in a hospital or industry environment through an internship at a local biomedical department. During the internship, students will be assigned routine duties as biomedical equipment technicians.
Admission to the program requires a 2.0 overall GPA on college transcripts, and successful completion of basic mathematics. Students may apply to the program for admission during the semester they take college level algebra. Successful completion of the above course work will be assessed from the student transcripts. Students may meet the general studies requirements at SF or another college before applying to the Biomedical Equipment Technician program.
Upon completion of the core program, students earn an Associate in Science degree. Graduates are prepared to seek entry-level employment as biomedical equipment technicians competent in troubleshooting and repairing scientific/medical instruments, performing basic quality control, and interfacing with hospital IT systems.
Biomedical Equipment Technician Program Learning Outcomes:
Upon successful completion of the program, students will be able to:
- Apply written and verbal skills.
- Apply mathematical skills.
- Apply basic software skills related to biomedical equipment technician.
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of basic pneumatics, fluidic, and mechanical principles.
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of basic biomedical principles.
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of basic networking principles.
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of basic electronics/computer principles.
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of laser/optics principles.
Biomedical Equipment Technician Program Performance Standards:
Applicants to the Biomedical Equipment Technician Program should:
- Possess sufficient eyesight to observe, manipulate, and evaluate instrumentation and procedures
- Possess sufficient hearing to communicate, manipulate, and evaluate instrumentation and procedures
- Possess sufficient physical ability to move 25 pounds and stand for at least 2 hours
- Possess sufficient English verbal and written skills to communicate effectively with potential employers
- Possess sufficient fine motor coordination to safely perform laboratory techniques
- Possess sufficient intellectual and emotional abilities to exercise independent judgment and discretion
The use of chemicals and latex/latex-based products may exist in program environments such as, but not limited to, classrooms and training labs, hospitals, research laboratories, and some area industries. Individuals with chemical or latex allergies should seek expert advice from their health care provider so that they may receive information to make an informed decision regarding their exposure to chemicals/latex in the field.
Application for Admission to Santa Fe College
Students interested in the Biomedical Equipment Technician Program should complete the Application for Admission to SF. Students are required to arrange for official transcripts from high school and from any post-secondary institution attended to be sent to the Office of Admissions. Unofficial transcripts may be used for initial advisement purposes only and will not be used for program admission consideration.
Application for Biomedical Equipment Technician Program:
Students should obtain an application to the Biomedical Equipment Technician Program (available online) and submit it to the address on the application.
Admission to the program requires:
- Admission to SF
- 2.0 overall GPA on college transcripts
- Completion of MAC 1105
** Students may apply to the program for admission during the semester they take college level algebra.